To donate £5 to the charity supporting the male victims of domestic abuse, text the message: MKDV46 to 70070
Click here to watch the video
Tumblr take notes
Seriously Tumblr, take note. A lot of the people I see on Tumblr are the people who I bet would laugh at the second one with everyone else.
Okay, I’m sorry. I normally don’t feel the need to air my beef with these things, but lately I’m shitting-my-pants feminist. So listen up, babies.
First of all, something to realize is that the source for this survey, which was taken in 2010 by the CDC (an organization dedicated to disease control and prevention) and yielded a 60/40 probability, was conflicting with another survey done by the National Coalition Against Domestic Violence which yielded that a whopping 85% of women were the victims of domestic violence in contrast to the remaining 15% of men.
Furthermore, domestic abuse against men most often does not come from a woman. The thirty-two-nation study of students published in Children and Youth Services claims that over half of domestic violence against males is in fact male-on-male crime. The way this video was edited (or quite possibly fabricated) invites people to dismiss the women’s social movement, which I don’t find productive at all, lol.
Finally, this video was most likely staged - by the contributor to the group, DareLondon, which is a youth advisory board, and otherwise an art community for the youth of the city. I don’t have any entirely solid proof to argue for my case, but do you think that for hours of filming that these would be the only reactions? Do you really think that such a large group of people would come up and give their two cents all at once? I can’t say it’s entirely illegitimate, but I think there is certainly something off.
Another thing to remember is the fact that every 9 seconds a woman is abused by her spouse. And let’s not forget that an average of 3 women per day are murdered by their husbands in the United States alone.
I’m not downgrading the abuse suffered by men in this country, but take note that this study was not approved as the most legitimate survey by the Office for National Statistics.
And finally what was this supposed to prove? Why are we calculating peoples’ alleged reactions to a crime when we’re observing a case in which we should be assessing violent tendencies in women? If someone tries to argue “Men are too scared to go to the police because of their fragile egos,” that’s not an argument against my question. That doesn’t explain why women would feel the need to hit their partners. Also, women are likely to be afraid to tell the police too, dipshit. Because they know its perfectly legal to be fired for being the victim of domestic abuse rather than receive any help for the problem.